Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Remote deskop connection and Home FTP via port forwarding

Working on these during the past long weekend and finally figured that out... (assuming you are using windows xp pro) 1. For the remote desktop connection. It's fairly easy, in the port mapping/forwarding part of the router, map the port 3389 to the machine you want to remote in... In my case , I mapped port 3389 to my desktop which has a LAN ip of 192.168.2.10... You have to fix the ip instead of using DHCP for this purpose 2. For the home ftp server setup, it's kind tricky... First, you have to choose a ftp server software. I chose the Filezilla client/server cause it's opensource. Next, configure the server/client... This article is a must for you to successfully set it up ( http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Network_Configuration ) In my case, I am with Bell aliant and it seems that they do not want users to use port 21. Therefore, I set up my FTP server to listen on port 50000. On the server configuration: In Passive mode settings, choose retrieve external IP address from and tick checkboxs for the last two items. On the General settings, change to 50000 for the server to listen on. On the client configuration: In FTP section-> active mode, tick the option to limit local ports used by fileZilla, 50000 - 50100 and tick options of the last two items which are getting the external ip and don't use external ip On the NAT/Modem part, port 50000-50100 to 192.168.2.10 and Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment