Thursday, February 20, 2014

SSIS tips: run packages on BIDS ok, but failed on SQL Jobs

 

This is a rather tricky problem.

1. I’ve opened a package via BIDS on production SSIS server, run it over there and data did get populated

2. I tried to run it through a SQL job but it failed with error message meta needs to be examined. 

I’ve checked it thoroughly and found out the column I’ve added in the dev env is not the same on production.

On dev. it’s thirdpartyAppID while on production it’s thirdpartyappid. The difference is on the capital a.

I think if pkg runs on BIDS, this type of difference was ignored(?) while on sql server agent, it gets picked up.

Below is the explanation from the forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/22fb4b15-2b2b-4408-96a8-bdc8897c17cf/failed-validation-and-returned-validation-status-vsneedsnewmetadata?forum=sqlintegrationservices

I don't think this a bug, because (I know) SSIS is a case-sensitive tool.

I can see how this could be very frustrating when you are using case insensitive SQL Servers, but there are plenty of areas where case sensitivity is an issue across application boundaries, one of the problems that keeps us all employed!

This does of course explain the metadata error. Can you get the column names in sync?

No comments:

Post a Comment